Holiday Travel Tips
I know that many of you or your loved ones will be hitting the road for the holidays. We'll be reminding Adam of these tips as he travels to be with us and wanted to share them with you as well.
- Have you checked your fluids (oil, windshield washing fluid, coolant)?
- Have you checked your wiper blades?
- Have you checked your tires (pressure and tread)?
- Is your spare tire and tool kit ready to go?
- Do you have jumper cables in your car?
- Are your lights in good working order?
- Are you filled up with fuel?
- Are your brakes in good working order?
- With winter weather on the horizon, do you have an ice scraper and pair of gloves inside the vehicle?
- Is your heat/air in good working order?
- Are you taking precautions to prevent distracted driving such as reviewing the route before you travel, connecting your phone to Bluetooth, setting it to do not disturb while you drive, utilizing apps such as Life360 so family can track your progress?
- Bridges and overpasses can ice before the roads so use caution and slow down.
- If you find yourself skidding on ice get off the gas and don't slam on the breaks. Steer away from the skid (opposite direction) and gentle pump the brakes.
- Don't leave valuables in sight inside the car and LOCK the vehicle.
- If you stop for gas or to use the restroom STAY AWARE. Before you exit the vehicle check your surroundings and this may be a good time to check in with loved ones from home to let them know your progress.
- If you feel unsafe, call 911.